The Leafview 1: The ideal entry-level gas-phase oxygen electrode system for advanced photosynthesis & respiration studies
Leafview 1 is the entry-level system for studies of photosynthesis and respiration from gas-phase, solid-state samples under actinic illumination. The system is ideally suited to teaching environments for under and post-grad plant biology studies of the photosynthetic processes as well as research facilities where demands on equipment performance are high.
Samples typically consist of leaf discs which are either cut from a broad leaf or made up of a “mat” of smaller leaves to form a circular disc of 10cm². Changes in the oxygen content of the sealed sample chamber are determined by the integral oxygen electrode mounted in the base of the chamber.
• LD1/2 electrode unit suitable for leafdiscs up to 10cm2 cut from whole leaves, algae or moss etc.
• Oxygen electrode control & signal acquisition via Oxyview control unit
• Illumination via LS2 high-intensity tungsten-halogen white light source
• LS2 intensity adjustable by insertion of neutral-density filters
• Oxygen signal output from Oxyview to recording device via 0V – 5V analogue output
• Upper optical port allows uniform illumination from LS2 from directly above the sample.
The individual components of the Leafview 1 system include:
S1 Oxygen Electrode Disc
When connected to the electrode control unit, the S1 provides a fast, effective and accurate method of detecting small changes in O2 concentration.
LD1/2 Electrode Chamber
The LD1/2 leaf disc electrode chamber is a simple device for measuring oxygen exchange from a 10cm² leaf disc mounted within a sealed, gas-tight sample-chamber.
The LD1/2 is constructed from black acetal with a cast acrylic top window allowing the sample to be evenly illuminated for photosynthesis measurements using the LS2 high-intensity white light source.
LS2 Light Source
The LS2 light source is a high-intensity (100W) tungsten-halogen light source powered from a stabilized power supply.
A range of light intensity steps may be achieved by adding permutations of the 4 A5 neutral density filters supplied to attenuate the light intensity.
When used with the DW1 electrode chamber the LS2 can achieve a maximum intensity of 1,800 µmol m-2 s-1 when mounted horizontally with respect to the electrode chamber.
Oxyview Control Unit
The low-cost Oxyview control unit provides an accurate and stable reading of the oxygen content of the sample in question.
A series of menu screens guide you to easily configure and control the system via a front mounted control panel.
The Oxyview control unit is fully compatible with the range of Hansatech oxygen electrode chambers.
The Handy PEA+: Ideal for rapid, large-scale screening of samples in the field or the greenhouse.
Compact & highly portable. Perfect for both teaching & research applications.
Simple to configure and operate. Define basic measurement functionality directly on the Handy PEA+!
The sensor unit consists of an array of 3 ultra-bright red LEDs which are optically filtered to a peak wavelength of 650 nm at a maximum intensity of up to 3,500 µmol m-2 s-1 at the sample surface. The LEDs are focused via lenses onto the leaf surface to provide uniform illumination over the area of leaf exposed by the leafclip. An optical feedback circuit monitors and corrects changes in the LED output intensity and compensates for intensity changes caused by variation in ambient temperature.
Up to 1,000 recordings of between 0.1 seconds – 300 seconds may be saved in the onboard memory of the Handy PEA+. Calculated parameters may be viewed onscreen with more comprehensive data display achieved by transferring saved data via USB to a PC where the supplied PEA+ Windows® software allows a variety of numerical and graphical presentation options.
- Compact: 170mm x 85mm x 40mm & Lightweight: 565g
- Large-scale screening capacity up to 1000 full trace data files
- High time resolution detection for discrimination of fast chlorophyll fluorescence induction kinetics
- Saturating high intensity focused LED array for accurate determination of Fmax
- Upload user-defined, repeatable protocols for automatic field execution
- Interchangeable sensor unit cables with lengths of up to 20 meters
- Powerful Windows® data transfer & analysis software included
Leafclips & Dark Adaptation
Leafclips shield the fluorescence detector from ambient light which would otherwise “blind” the sensor due to the comparatively high levels of red/infrared light within the same waveband as the fluorescence itself. They also precondition or dark adapt a section of the sample prior to measurement.